Mail Pouch Tobacco: Bloch Brothers Tobacco Works – Wheeling, West Virginia
On Thursday morning, I stood outside of the old Bloch Bothers Mail Pouch Tobacco factory in Wheeling, West Virginia waiting for the sun to rise. The Ohio River, silently snaked behind me while I snapped far too many photos of the ghost sign printing on the brick building.
A little to the left, a little to the right, maybe crouch down? Dammit, did I cut the corner off? The amount of jockeying around that I sometimes do is admittedly excessive. Especially for photos that by and large just live in the camera roll of my iPhone.
Sunrise in Wheeling is a full half hour later than where I live. It’s funny how something so seemingly inconsequential can throw you off. Standing out there in front of an idling semi truck in the dark it seemed like the sun was never going to come up. Was this how I would live the rest of my life – in the not quite dark, not quite bright predawn light? Irrational questions that made sense in the moment.
It’s been almost 10 years since I’ve been to Wheeling proper and not just skirting by on the highway. In town there seemed to be considerable construction and deterioration since my last visit. The old suspension bridge was blocked off. There were many construction barrels around. Maybe things are on the way up and my next visit will be one marked by rejuvenation.
You never really know the true story of a place when you’re just passing through.
Visit the Old Mail Pouch Tobacco Factory
3900 Water St, Wheeling, WV 26003
Other Posts You Might Like
- Mail Pouch Tobacco: Uncovering the Secrets of the White Whale
- Mail Pouch Tobacco - Christ is Coming Soon Barn - McVeytown, Pennsylvania
- Mail Pouch Tobacco: Bloch Brothers Tobacco Works - Wheeling, West Virginia
- Pennsylvania: Double Mail Pouch Barn Goodness
- The Mail Pouch Tobacco Ad of Grafton, West Virginia
- Been Thinkin' 'bout the Lincoln
- Ride Snapshots: New Jersey in the Corner Pocket
- Life is All Mail Pouch Barns and Rainbows
- 2016 Rearview: A Few of My Favorite Things So Far
- The Uncovered Mail Pouch Ad of Carnegie, Pa.
- Road Tripping: The Dreaded Sting of Flatness
- Road Tripping: West Virginia Mail Pouch Barns
- Roadside Wish List: Mail Pouch Tobacco Mural - Pottsville, PA
- New Jersey Mail Pouch Tobacco Mural
- New Jersey Mail Pouch Barn Spotting
- 2010 Motorcycle Goals: West Virginia Mail Pouch Barn Ride
- 4 Mail Pouch Tobacco Ads from Pennsylvania
- A Saturday Ride: Two New York Mail Pouch Tobacco Barns
- Sights from the Road: The Layton Country Store and Mail Pouch Tobacco Sign
- Sights from the Road: Kentucky Mail Pouch Tobacco Barn