Void Rally 7: And Away We Go
After receiving the bonus list on Tuesday, I immediately had a heart attack. And then I sat down at my computer and worked on planning my route. Again. And again. And… again.
I tried hard to keep in mind that I am not trying to win this thing. So, that should have alleviated some pressure. You’d think, right? But I woke up this morning with 3 pimples on my mug. 3! I’m going to attribute those to stress.
Even though I’m not trying to win, I’m not trying to “lose,” either. Last night shortly after dinner I looked at my route for the 100th time. You could really work and rework the damned thing for days but you have to stop somewhere. I’d had enough and finally said uncle. I came to terms with my route, loaded the GPS and declared it with the Rallymasters.
It’s nothing earth shattering, not a high point masterpiece – but it is realistic for me. My route has several stops to snap bonus photos of things that I really love. I built in what I think will be plenty of rest time cushion to accomodate any gas station meltdowns, confusion or just needing to stop and take a break because I want to.
In a nutshell I’ll be doing what I usually do, just at a different level ~ taking a long ride, snapping photos along the way and eating dinner at the end.
On My Way to Allentown
I’ll be heading to Allentown, Pa. today (Thursday) to my rally starting point. That is a couple hours from where I live on Long Island. No doubt I’ll spend that time finally relaxing a bit. Actually doing something rather than sitting around wondering about it makes a big difference.
On Friday morning, I must get my Allentown starting receipt between 8:50am and 9:10am, text the Rallymasters my starting information and then I’ll be riding off towards my first bonus location. It will be good to get underway and one step closer to making the unknown known.
Rider #71 signing off.
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can…
[Update: 10/4/12 7:30pm]
I don’t know why but every time I leave for a big trip, it is in the rain. True to form, I left Long Island in the mist but luckily missed any significant rain. Hopefully that is the last of it I’ll see for the next couple days. ::crosses fingers::
Tonight I met a few of the other Void riders for dinner here in Allentown, one of whom looks like Charlie Boorman. I kept thinking that while sitting at the table.
It quickly became obvious that this is a type of riding I know nothing about. Listening to long distance riders talk about other rallies and their IBA rides is a whole other game. They’re clearly made of different stuff than I am. If I’d ever wondered about the types of riders who take the top spots in these rallies ~ I think I found out tonight.
So, as for me – my plan remains the same for tomorrow. Go for a ride, see some cool stuff. I’m actually quite excited about 2 of my bonus stops tomorrow. One in particular is HEAVEN! Can you guess what or where it might be?
Where possible I’ll be updating Instagram photos today and during rest stops along the way. The feed below should update automatically when I add pics.
[instapress tag=”void7″ title=”1″ piccount=”50″ size=”150″ effect=”fancybox” paging=”0″]
You Might Also Like:
- Welcome to The Void Rally 7
- Into the Void: GPS Coordinates - The Stuff Nightmares Are Made Of
- The Void Rally: I Am Rider Number...
- Void Rally 7: Today is Bonus List Day!
- Void Rally 7: And Away We Go
- Void Rally 7: Tales of a First Timer
- Save The Date: Void Rally 8
- Journey to The Void: And So It Begins
- Void 8: Let The Bonus Speculation Begin!
- Dear, Aunt Mildred - I'm So Confused About The VOID Rally 10
- VOID Rally 11: The Doubt Phase
- Void Rally 11: Route Planning Update
- VOID Rally 11: Route is Planned, Resignation Settles In
- Void Rally 11: RTFM, Dummy!
- The Void Rally 11 - The Wet and Wild Monopoly Edition
- The Void 12 - A Motorcycle Scavenger Hunt Rally
- Rally Riding: Know Your Camera and Learn To Take Pictures In the Dark
- PSA: The Void Rally - Registration Closing in Two Weeks
- PSA: Void Rally 12 Registration Closes August 18th!