Wow, What a View
Do you think it’s possible to tire of looking at the Pacific Ocean from the seat of your motorcycle? I had plenty of time to ponder that question while Kenny and I rode south on the PCH.
This was our second time riding down the coast from San Francisco. I was happy to find that the water crashing against the craggy rocks was as exciting as it had been the first time we’d made the trek.
Throughout our 200-mile coastal leg, we rode in and out of silvery fog and bright blue skies. The air hung cooly, sending a chill across the knuckles of my summer gloves. The weather contrasted star to the blazing heat we’d come down out of at the Lick Observatory.
Happy, Happy Birthday, Baby
This day was extra special because it was Kenny’s birthday. Though he’s always said he doesn’t want anything for his birthday, it pains me to observe his wishes. However, I took pleasure in knowing that he was spending the day doing something he loved, in a place dear to his heart.
Seaside Sandwiches in Big Sur
We quietly celebrated the day with a special lunch. While stopped at the Lucia Lodge store in Big Sur, we picked up ham and cheese croissants from the freezer case. We heated them up in a well-worn microwave whose digital numbers were no longer visible. Admittedly, I didn’t have high hopes, but we were both rather hungry.
We took our lunch onto the deck and ate overlooking the water. It was just the two of us and the sound of rolling waves below.
And wouldn’t you know it? The seaside sandwiches were delicious.
Now, I don’t know if the sandwiches really were super-good, or maybe they’d been sprinkled with magical sunshine only found on Highway 1. Or, who knows? Maybe the birthday fairy made a perfect moment for us. Whatever the case, I couldn’t have asked for anything better.
There is something special about riding the Pacific Coast Highway. If you haven’t done it, you owe it to yourself. There are perfect moments just waiting for you.
More Posts From This Trip:
- Here It Is! The Greatest Road Sign In The World
- Hello, San Francisco - So Good To See You Again
- California Love: It's Time to Hit the Road
- California Love: Mount Hamilton and Lick Observatory
- California Love: Seaside Sandwiches in Big Sur
- California Love: Chasing Lightning on Route 58
- California Love: Rendezvous at the Big Shoe
- California Love: Golden Fields on Hot Springs Drive
- California Love: Sequoia National Park
- Hello, Handsome! Hayward, California Muffler Man
- California Love: Finding Gold on CA 49
- California Love: Rain on the Sonora Pass
- The Tiny Topaz, California Post Office
- California Love: Holy Hail on Monitor Pass
- I Think I May Have Opened Pandora's Box
- Heading North Through Lassen Volcanic Park
- Muffler Man: Hat Creek, California
- Long and Lovely - California Highway 96
- OMG - I Saw Bigfoot in California!
- GoPro Accidental Photos: The Redwoods