Tuesday June 17, 2008 – Klamath Falls, Or to Crescent City, Ca.
We left our surprisingly plush and unexpected 2 room suite in Klamath Falls on Tuesday morning, heading north to Crater Lake National Park. A good night’s sleep realigned my brain and I was happy to be on the road again.
We stopped off along the road to take in the scenery and talk with some cows who stood on the other side of the fence chewing. It was a gorgeous morning; cool and clear.
Crater Lake has been on my life’s to-do list for what seems like forever. In my previously mentioned heat-induced emotional breakdown, I was nearly ready to skip Crater Lake rather than sit on the toe-roasting boxer twin for 200 miles of slab. Sometimes I could probably use a good shake to knock some sense in to me.
As Greg, Kenny and I sat on the wall that rimmed the lake, I was thankful that I was encouraged to keep moving forward that day in the gas station.
The way that the sunshine sparkled off the sapphire blue water looked like a layer of static hovering. It was like one of those magic eye posters.
Unfortunately, though it was June there was 55 inches of snow still standing around the lake’s ring road. This meant that we were unable to go all the way around the lake.
Crater lake marked the northern most section of our route. This was a bittersweet moment. I’d made it to see this place that danced across my imagination, but it was also the turnaround point of or trip. We were no longer on the upslope.
Heading southwest, we worked our way down the coast. We found a place to stay in Crescent City for the night.
More Posts From This Trip:
- California Dreamin: Hello, San Francisco
- California Dreaming: San Francisco to San Luis Obispo
- California Dreaming: San Luis Obispo to Bakersfield
- California Dreaming: Bakersfield to North Fork
- California Dreaming: North Fork to Lee Vining
- California Dreaming: Lee Vining to Klamath Falls, Oregon
- California Dreaming: Klamath Falls, Or. to Crescent City, Ca.
- California Dreaming: Crescent City to Mount Shasta City
- California Dreaming: Mount Shasta City to Willits
- California Dreaming: Willits to San Francisco
- California: Missing the Beauty of Big Sur
- California: Caution - Bear Crossing
- Spy Shot: Golden Gate Bridge
- Caption Me: Bunyan's Boot at the Trees of Mystery, Klamath California
- Sights from the Road: The Bakersfield Indian Muffler Man
- Remembering California: The Sundial Bridge
- Memory Lane: California's Point Arena Lighthouse
- Memory Lane: Riding through Sequoia National Park
- Remembering California: Discovering the Jewel that is California's Lost Coast
- Remembering California: Serendipity Strikes Outside of Redding