Monday June 16, 2008 – Lee Vining to Klamath Falls, Oregon
Waving goodbye to Lee Vining, we headed north on 395 towards Bridgeport, California. Not far from Lake Mono, I saw a sign for “Bodie.” Seeing as how I might never pass that way again, I made the executive decision that we were going to stop and check the place out.
Bodie, California is a Ghost town. Literally.
After leaving Bodie, we hopped across the Sonora Pass which at nearly 10,000 ft elevation, was nice and cool. The road offered great, twisty riding and beautiful mountain scenery.
As we climbed down out of the mountains, the heat began to settle in. It was hot, hot, hot. We pulled off at a gas station to get a drink and I went in to full-blown meltdown wobbler mode. I’d had it. I hit the wall with the heat and the slow pace. Kenny donned his fire retardant suit and slowly talked me down off the ledge until I slowly began to return to my right mind.
After my cranky meltdown, we determined that we had to make tracks towards Klamath Falls, Oregon on the slab if we wanted to squeeze Crater Lake in. It became apparent that if we didn’t, we’d never make it. I was not happy about that. The next couple hundred hot highway miles sucked.
More Posts From This Trip:
- California Dreamin: Hello, San Francisco
- California Dreaming: San Francisco to San Luis Obispo
- California Dreaming: San Luis Obispo to Bakersfield
- California Dreaming: Bakersfield to North Fork
- California Dreaming: North Fork to Lee Vining
- California Dreaming: Lee Vining to Klamath Falls, Oregon
- California Dreaming: Klamath Falls, Or. to Crescent City, Ca.
- California Dreaming: Crescent City to Mount Shasta City
- California Dreaming: Mount Shasta City to Willits
- California Dreaming: Willits to San Francisco
- California: Missing the Beauty of Big Sur
- California: Caution - Bear Crossing
- Spy Shot: Golden Gate Bridge
- Caption Me: Bunyan's Boot at the Trees of Mystery, Klamath California
- Sights from the Road: The Bakersfield Indian Muffler Man
- Remembering California: The Sundial Bridge
- Memory Lane: California's Point Arena Lighthouse
- Memory Lane: Riding through Sequoia National Park
- Remembering California: Discovering the Jewel that is California's Lost Coast
- Remembering California: Serendipity Strikes Outside of Redding