California Dreaming: Bakersfield to North Fork
Saturday June 14, 2008 – Bakersfield to North Fork
I guess Kenny’s zipper didn’t have the tensile strength to hold back the sheer force of his manaconda. It ended up blowing out, so before heading out for the day, we had to make a pitstop at Cyclegear to get him a new pair of pants.
Our first leg of the day took us to Caliente Bodfish Road heading towards Lake Isabella. It was a beautiful rural road that carved it’s way through dry, golden sand hills.
As we came down out of the hills, we passed through Lake Isabella on our way towards Sequoia National Park.
As we entered the park, I kept looking at the trees and thinking, ‘Yea, they are pretty big.’ It isn’t until you enter the Giant Forest until you really begin to get an understanding of just what a BIG tree is.
If you’ve never seen a giant Sequoia, you have no frame of reference of what to expect. Photos and video could never do justice the feeling of being amongst them. If a tree is worthy of a name like General Sherman or Sentinel, it’s pretty special.
We spent some time in the park, checking out the trees and just lallygagging. We rode north until the sun was just about down and found ourselves in a pinch between national parks on the weekend. EVERYTHING was booked. Except one place. It was the worst motel I’ve stayed in to date. Beggars can’t be choosers so we shacked up at the South Fork motel in North Fork.
More Posts From This Trip:
- California Dreamin: Hello, San Francisco
- California Dreaming: San Francisco to San Luis Obispo
- California Dreaming: San Luis Obispo to Bakersfield
- California Dreaming: Bakersfield to North Fork
- California Dreaming: North Fork to Lee Vining
- California Dreaming: Lee Vining to Klamath Falls, Oregon
- California Dreaming: Klamath Falls, Or. to Crescent City, Ca.
- California Dreaming: Crescent City to Mount Shasta City
- California Dreaming: Mount Shasta City to Willits
- California Dreaming: Willits to San Francisco
- California: Missing the Beauty of Big Sur
- California: Caution - Bear Crossing
- Spy Shot: Golden Gate Bridge
- Caption Me: Bunyan's Boot at the Trees of Mystery, Klamath California
- Sights from the Road: The Bakersfield Indian Muffler Man
- Remembering California: The Sundial Bridge
- Memory Lane: California's Point Arena Lighthouse
- Memory Lane: Riding through Sequoia National Park
- Remembering California: Discovering the Jewel that is California's Lost Coast
- Remembering California: Serendipity Strikes Outside of Redding