Roadside Stop: Madonna of the Trail, Beallsville, Pa.
During my Pennsylvania rambling road trip to nowhere, I ping-ponged around the state visiting things that I’d long wanted to see but had never made time to. One of those stops was to visit my first Madonna of the Trail on US40 in Beallsville, Pa.
Just look at this lady.
One kid on the hip, another bawling and snot-nosed tugging on her too long, too hot, too annoying skirt. All the while dragging a rifle (no doubt to shoot a rabid bear) all while keeping her trap shut with the patience of a saint – while her husband drives their covered wagon 30 miles in the wrong direction because he won’t stop to ask for directions. What mom hasn’t been there?
I raise my glass to the pioneer mother Madonnas. Cheers, ladies. We still feel you.
Other Posts from this Road Trip
- Road Tripping: The Coffee Pot - Bedford, Pa
- Well, Hello, Mr. Bedroom Eyes - Uniontown, Pa. Mufflerman
- Road Tripping: World's Largest Teapot - Chester, WV
- Road Tripping: A Fabulous Pennsylvania Roadside Animal Menagerie
- Roadside Stop: Madonna of the Trail, Beallsville, Pa.
- Bucket List Stop: The PennDot Road Sign Sculpture Garden
- Musings on Riding Farm Roads. And Bigfoot.
- Road Tripping: Roadside Goodies from Western New York
- Whispering Giants Grand Tour: Ong-Gwe-Ohn-Weh in Dunkirk, NY
- Road Tripping: The Self-Torture of More, More, More
- Road Tripping in Pennsylvania - Zippo Lighter Museum
- Road Tripping Though Pennsylvania - Random Snapshots
- Road Tripping in Pennsylvania - Visiting the Kinzua Viaduct
- Road Tripping Through Pennsylvania: Sights on Route 144
- Road Tripping in Pennsylvania - Winding Road Next 10 Miles
- SPOT Tracker Reporting Gaps
- Road Tripping in Pennsylvania - Wandering to Breakfast in Wellsboro
- Whispering Giants Grand Tour: Williamsport, Pa. Giant is Missing
- Sometimes Being In A Hurry Actually Slows You Down
- Uncle Sam Muffler Man - Happy Fourth of July
- Instagram: My Path
- Don't You Hate it When...
- PA Ramble Roadtrip: Heading to Williamsport
- I Think This Calls For a Ramble