After visiting the Kinzua Viaduct, I still had hours of daylight left and no particular place to go. Pulling up the list of “favorites” on my GPS showed that there was a Whispering Giant less than 100 miles away in Dunkirk, NY.
True to form, I asked myself the question that helps me make decisions often: When would I be back in the area again? The answer is almost always the same: Maybe never. And so Dunkirk, NY became my next see something destination.
As luck would have it, my route to Dunkirk would take me past Bradford, Pa. – Home of the Zippo Case Museum. Yes, Zippo as in the lighter.
You might be asking why on Earth I would want to visit a lighter museum. And I don’t blame you. (Or is that… flame… you? Ahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa! Sorry.) On the surface it hardly seems like something that could hold your interest for 5 minutes.
An American Flag fashioned from Zippo lighters:
As it turned out, seeing how the Zippo played a role in the lives of people and popular culture was interesting. Plus? This:
Do you see it? Look at it. LOOK AT IT! The Zippo car alone is worth the stop.
The Zippo street light:
The attached gift shop (more like the museum attached to the gift shop) makes about a bajillion lighters available. I ended up buying one with a picture of the Zippo car on it. That, a few postcards and a pen.
When you tilt the pen the Zippo car drives down the street. It reminded me of those naked lady pens I giggled about as a kid. You know the ones – where you tip it and the bathing suit drops off? Ooh la la.
My detour to the Zippo Museum was unexpectedly worth the stop. I pulled out of the parking lot happy.
Zippo Case Museum
1932 Zippo Dr
Bradford, PA 16701
Other Posts from this Road Trip
- Road Tripping: The Coffee Pot - Bedford, Pa
- Well, Hello, Mr. Bedroom Eyes - Uniontown, Pa. Mufflerman
- Road Tripping: World's Largest Teapot - Chester, WV
- Road Tripping: A Fabulous Pennsylvania Roadside Animal Menagerie
- Roadside Stop: Madonna of the Trail, Beallsville, Pa.
- Bucket List Stop: The PennDot Road Sign Sculpture Garden
- Musings on Riding Farm Roads. And Bigfoot.
- Road Tripping: Roadside Goodies from Western New York
- Whispering Giants Grand Tour: Ong-Gwe-Ohn-Weh in Dunkirk, NY
- Road Tripping: The Self-Torture of More, More, More
- Road Tripping in Pennsylvania - Zippo Lighter Museum
- Road Tripping Though Pennsylvania - Random Snapshots
- Road Tripping in Pennsylvania - Visiting the Kinzua Viaduct
- Road Tripping Through Pennsylvania: Sights on Route 144
- Road Tripping in Pennsylvania - Winding Road Next 10 Miles
- SPOT Tracker Reporting Gaps
- Road Tripping in Pennsylvania - Wandering to Breakfast in Wellsboro
- Whispering Giants Grand Tour: Williamsport, Pa. Giant is Missing
- Sometimes Being In A Hurry Actually Slows You Down