The Williamsport, Pa. Whispering Giant was right up the block from the hotel I stayed at in town. My plan for the day was to swing by, take a picture of it and then head off towards Lock Haven to start a ride loop.
When I pulled up the spot where I’d seen it on Google Streetview there was… nothing.
I parked and walked up to find only the pedestal and plaque remaining. My heart broke a little.
One of my friends who is also doing the Whispering Giant Grand Tour posted a photo of it on Facebook in April, so I knew it couldn’t have been missing for long. To say I was bummed would be an understatement.
Now that I have had an opportunity to search the web, it seems that the Giant was removed in mid-June. I came up a day late and a dollar short on seeing Chief Woapalanee.
Other Posts about Whispering Giants
- Whispering Giants Grand Tour: Williamsport, Pa. Giant is Missing
- Whispering Giants Grand Tour: Enishkeetompauog and Enisketomp
- Whispering Giants Grand Tour: Omiskanoagwiak - Springfield, MA
- Planning: Whispering Giants Grand Tour
- The Whispering Giants Grand Tour