What better way to give your new livery a test than with a winding road? As the sun rose higher in the sky, we made our way from the cool air of San Francisco to the golden hills of Route 130 to visit the Lick Observatory atop Mt. Hamilton.
If Wikipedia is to be believed, Route 130 is said to have 365 curves – one for each day of the year. Now, I don’t know if that is true but I can tell you that the road is indeed very twisty. It took twice as many minutes to travel the 20 or so miles from the west to the observatory.
In addition to its plethora of turns, the road is also quite bumpy in some spots. Major lumps and ripples crossed large sections of the road similar to frost heaves that we get in the Northeast.
A few of the dips in the road sent the Tiger’s too soft rear suspension a-bouncing. Hitting one of those on a firmly suspended sportbike would indeed give your naughty bits quite an unwelcome surprise or possibly dislodge your spleen.
The higher and higher we climbed, the closer to the sun we got. It was 409° when we finally made it to the summit. But the view once we got there was worth the sweat. The rolling toasty hills spread out before us whispering “…come closer… we’ve got secrets to share with you…”
More Posts From This Trip:
- Here It Is! The Greatest Road Sign In The World
- Hello, San Francisco - So Good To See You Again
- California Love: It's Time to Hit the Road
- California Love: Mount Hamilton and Lick Observatory
- California Love: Seaside Sandwiches in Big Sur
- California Love: Chasing Lightning on Route 58
- California Love: Rendezvous at the Big Shoe
- California Love: Golden Fields on Hot Springs Drive
- California Love: Sequoia National Park
- Hello, Handsome! Hayward, California Muffler Man
- California Love: Finding Gold on CA 49
- California Love: Rain on the Sonora Pass
- The Tiny Topaz, California Post Office
- California Love: Holy Hail on Monitor Pass
- I Think I May Have Opened Pandora's Box
- Heading North Through Lassen Volcanic Park
- Muffler Man: Hat Creek, California
- Long and Lovely - California Highway 96
- OMG - I Saw Bigfoot in California!
- A Symbol of Hope and Inspiration on California's Route 36