Day 3: Riding Through Blue Ridge Parkway Tunnels
The Blue Ridge Parkway from around Little Switzerland to about Asheville is one of my favorite sections of the whole stretch. Aside from being a great ride, it offers some really beautiful views of the valleys below. The 50 or so miles seemed to go by in a blink as we rode along.
You can also catches glimpses of the road ahead as it cuts along the edge of mountain ridge. There is something that I love about being able to see a wiggly roadway peeking out from the trees. It’s like a teaser that says, ‘Come on, hurry up. Look how much fun you’re gonna be having in a minute!’
There also a few of those spiral curve signs along the way to get your get-up-and-go a-workin’.
The Little Switzerland area at milepost 333 is also where the majority of the 26 tunnels on the parkway begin. Only a single tunnel exists before that way back at milepost 53.
Though I’ve ridden the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway a few times before, each time I do I find something exciting about the tunnels.
Because they are unlit and some have turns inside, when you enter you have no idea where you’ll end up. There could be more tarmac on the other side or… you could be riding into the mouth of that giant worm thingy from the Empire Strikes Back. Who can say?
The tunnels aren’t very long. When you enter the darkness your eyes barely have enough time to adjust before you are plunged out into the light again.
Those exits make for great jump to lightspeed pics on the GoPro
More Posts from the Trip:
- Southern Trip Stats - Y'all Come Back Now, Hear?
- Day 1: Dipping Below the Mason-Dixon Line
- Day 2: Smooth Sailing on the Blue Ridge Parkway
- Day 2: Detour to the Roanoke Muffler Man
- Day 2: The Mile High Club at Grandfather Mountain
- Day 3: Riding Through Blue Ridge Parkway Tunnels
- Day 3: Blue Ridge Parkway Pit Stop - Breakfast at Mount Mitchell
- Day 3: The Highest Elevation on the Blue Ridge Parkway Motor Road
- Day 3: Wheels Through Time Museum - Photo Gallery
- Sights from the Road: The Cherokee Muffler Man
- Sights From the Road: Greatest Car in the Universe v4.0 - Mufflermobile
- Day 4: We Had Georgia on Our Minds
- Day 4: NC 209 With a Little Luck
- Sights From the Road: Goats on the Roof
- Snapshot: My Navigation System
- MotoPhoto: Don't You Just Love it When the Road Does That?
- Day 5: TN421 - Grabbing the Snake by the Tail
- Roadside Sights: Pal's Sudden Service
- Check One Off The To Do List: Backbone Rock
- Day 5: Stung on the Back of the Dragon
- Roadside Snapshot: The Big Little Apple of Thaxton, Virginia
- Day 6: The Motorcycle Adventures of the Bearded Lady
- Snapshot: Southern Trip Souvenirs
- Day 7: Mixed Nuts and a Reformed Jackass on the Loose in West Virginia
- Beware - It's The Devils Road!
- Space, The Final Frontier - These are the Voyages of the Fuzzship Tigerprise