Navigate / search

Buzz’s Skelly Gas Station – Coen Brothers Filming Location?

The Coen Brother’s are currently shooting a movie called Inside Llewyn Davis staring Justin Timberlake. Some of the scenes are set to shoot here on Long Island in the town of Riverhead.

While out riding today, after an off-handed comment by GLantern about an old gas station – I thought I would go take a look. I mean, I love that sort of Americana.

But when I got there, what I saw was too “perfect” to just be something a local was putting up for their own enjoyment. Then it dawned on me…

It must be part of the Coen Brothers movie set. The station doesn’t really exist. It’s on one of the roads set to be closed and well, you can see it’s a false front if you look to the side of the building.

I thought that was a pretty cool find.

Comments

Jess

That is COOL! And your bike looks totally awesome…it’s POURING DOWN RAIN HERE!!!!!

Fuzzygalore

For most of the morning it looked like it was going to pour and then the most glorious sun came out. Hope it was the same for you :)

carolyn

Sweet! That *is* an awesome find!

Shybiker

Sharp eye! Cool discovery. You’re out there so the rest of us can sit on the couch and watch…

SonjaM

Nice catch, and looking even better with your motorcycle in front of it.

Fuzzygalore

Motorcycles and scooters have a way of making pics cooler, don’t they? :)

Eric Lange

Very cool, and great news that another Coen Brother movie is on the horizon!

Jones

A few years ago I was in Goblin Valley State Park in Utah, and found that some of the hiking trails were closed. It turns out a movie crew was filming a scene for “The Tree Of Life”. I got some great photos of the craft service truck and assorted flunkies and go-fers.

Gunnar

Wow, that is really, really awesome. I hope they go old school and bring back John Goodman, Steve Buscemi and John Turturro like in their early pictures.

Fuzzygalore

According to IMDB Goodman is in this one!

Trobairitz

Very cool find. I like how the cones compliment the bike color too.

Glantern

I knew you would be interested in this, thanks for finding the info out on it! This is awesome

Fuzzygalore

Yea, this was PERFECT! I have you to thank for seeing it :)

bobskoot

Fuzzy:

It’s amazing what movie set designers can do. I have photos of some old (movie) gas stations too. There was even a replica of New York City a few years ago but sometimes Security won’t let you snap photos.

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

Fuzzygalore

You’re so right. It IS amazing. It looks like this building got zapped there from 70 years ago. It “lies” to you even when you’re standing there looking at it. It’s just beautiful.

I so wish it was able to stay put after the movie is gone~

LARRY SCHULZ

I TOO WENT BY THERE YESTERDAY. DEF A COOL OLD RETRO REMAKE OF AN OLD GAS STATION. WISH THERE WERE CLOUDS LIKE THAT IN MY PICS!

Fuzzygalore

WOW! That does look good! Thanks for sharing that.

Bill Vaananen

I was a little disappointed to see this, but thanks for posting. Great photos. You see, my dad was an executive for Skelly Oil Company in Tulsa, Okla. back in the 60′s. Skelly has been defunct for decades now, since being bought out by Getty Oil in the mid 70s and then Getty by Texaco. But it’s still very nostalgic for me. There’s even a company town in west Texas called Skellytown. I thought the Coens had found an old Skelly station in Kansas or Colorado for this shot. Now I find it’s really a false front in Long Island. Still, it looks very authentic and I appreciate the bros. using Skelly: right down to the pumps and the signage.