Navigate / search

Suzuki DRZ 400: First Ride on a Snowy Day

This afternoon after getting all my paperwork squared away at the DMV, I set off on my first ride on the DRZ. The temperature was hovering around 40 degrees. With not much more than wet roads, I did 30 mile loop.

Being out in the world on the bike when everything looked like it was covered in a layer of powered sugar felt amazing. There is a comforting silence that the snow brings.

Its clear that there are mental hurdles I will have to overcome, namely volunteering to ride through and over things that my years of street riding have taught me to avoid. But all in all, I felt very natural and very much at home on the new bike. I’m looking forward to continuing with the learning process.

Comments

Stacy

Sounds like you need to ride out here for this all-women’s adventure riding camp: http://j.mp/cUnGGj

We’ll have wine and chocolate!

Fuzzygalore

Okay, Stacy- You’re just being a cruel temptress :lol:
If it were humanly possible I would love to attend that. I can’t wait to hear what your impressions are of riding an off road bike are.

wendy

Oh Rachael -
Gorgeous pics. Everything matches your bike on a day like that.
(the swan needs a little chrome, though LOL)

Fuzzygalore

<3 Thanks, Wendy
I have a bunch of photos that I took that almost look like they're black and white. the only indicator that they're color is the taillight. Very strange! Today is bright blue and sunny. I think the pics will have a different result :D

I'm not a big fan of bird but swans are nice. That swan did all but get up out of the water, fling itself onto its back – wing covering his eyes and say.. "uh… can't go on… starving… Feed me." What a beggar!

novos

Oh, WOW, those knobbies open up a world that wasn’t too welcoming to bikes before now… I’m lovin’ those pictures :)

Fuzzygalore

Novos-
Thanks, toots <3

I have a lot to learn about not being afraid to try getting into new places or situations I would have avoided completely before. I just need to spend some time riding to get my confidence up.

Do you still have your tw? did you ever get it running and plated?

Bruce

I sometimes think the most fun I’ve ever had on a motorcycle was in an open field with a foot of snow on the ground astride a little honda dirt bike. You’re going to have a blast. Cheers.