California Dreaming: San Luis Obispo to Bakersfield
Taft, California was once named Moron. You could smell the oil in the air as we rolled by the creepy oilfields. It was a strange site to watch the fields of derricks as their heads went, up and down, up and down like birds pecking at the ground.
Heading south on 33 from the Taft area was fun. The road snaked along through the mountains twisting and turning. In a surreal moment we saw a fleet of about 5 or 6 “covered” cars going through what must have been a road test.
Gentleman that he is, Ed took us to the Rockstore. I guess that’s like someone wanting to visit the Empire State Building in NYC. He tried to tell us he never goes there, but not 5 minutes after we arrived we hear… “Hey, Ed..” 😆
We cruised through tiny mountain roads that wriggled along the landscape like a rattlesnake.
We stopped off to figure out where we were were, where we might want to go and how much daylight we had to work with. As we stood looking out at the mountains, the hills reminded me of the edge of a pie crust.
We swung in to Bakersfield to see a muffler man Indian and ended up staying there for the night. Not the most scenic town in the world, but our hotel was clean and cool.
Our first day of riding with Ed along was excellent. Great scenery, roads, and company.
More Posts From This Trip:
- California Dreamin: Hello, San Francisco
- California Dreaming: San Francisco to San Luis Obispo
- California Dreaming: San Luis Obispo to Bakersfield
- California Dreaming: Bakersfield to North Fork
- California Dreaming: North Fork to Lee Vining
- California Dreaming: Lee Vining to Klamath Falls, Oregon
- California Dreaming: Klamath Falls, Or. to Crescent City, Ca.
- California Dreaming: Crescent City to Mount Shasta City
- California Dreaming: Mount Shasta City to Willits
- California Dreaming: Willits to San Francisco
- California: Missing the Beauty of Big Sur
- California: Caution - Bear Crossing
- Spy Shot: Golden Gate Bridge
- Caption Me: Bunyan's Boot at the Trees of Mystery, Klamath California
- Sights from the Road: The Bakersfield Indian Muffler Man
- Remembering California: The Sundial Bridge
- Memory Lane: California's Point Arena Lighthouse
- Memory Lane: Riding through Sequoia National Park
- Remembering California: Discovering the Jewel that is California's Lost Coast
- Remembering California: Serendipity Strikes Outside of Redding